Monday, June 7, 2010

Word Bash #6

Hello my friends. This Word Bash stands alone. It has gotten under my skin so badly that I left myself a memo on my crackberry so I wouldn't forget to post.



It's tricky because English is hard. We have all of these rules and exceptions to the rules. BUT it is our language and deserves to be well-learned. I will soon be posting about the absurdity of the people protesting the National Spelling Bee...because the English language rules are too challenging. More on that later...



So down to the matter. I researched and there is no such word as "nother". In fact as I'm typing, spell check tells me it is wrong. So can we PLEASE agree to stop saying "that's a whole nother issue" or "it is a whole nother thing"? I am a fan of the current Bachelorette but she used this phrase on last week's episode and I cringed. And don't get me wrong there is something about that phrasing that makes sense in our brains. I've been tempted to use it myself, but alas "nother" doesn't exist.

Who were you having a conversation with the first time you heard it being used?

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

The phrase is "That's a whole OTHER ..." Maybe she was congested and her words soundeded like they had a "N" at the beginning??? It's been a bad allergy season.

Lauren and Chad Rogers said...

lol......i kept saying out loud as I was reading it and I'm like..... it kinda sounds right....and then I realized what stephanie knew all along......the word should be OTHER....lol. btw I still can't break chad of "acrossT" drives me crazy! and I mention your name every time he says it lol = )