Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Not to...

..."toot my own horn" "be Debbie downer" "sound jealous or something"! Phrases that we use daily as a preface to the very tone, attitude or characteristic that we are disclaiming. "not to be ugly...but that is ridiculous" :) I myself am guilty of saying things like this.

But why? Could it be we're afraid that those who hear our statement will deem us cocky, pessimistic, or jealous? Apparently not because we make the statement anyway; as if saying "not to be a jerk..." makes you any less of a jerk.

There are times when a statement needs to be said, but it may be taken the wrong way by the recipient or innocent by-listeners. Then comes the greater question "If its the truth, why not say it? Isn't it worse to lie than to have their feelings hurt for awhile?" Great question. I'm not promising that this will be a great answer, but we'll see :)

The missing factor here is not logic, but wisdom. Ethos, Pathos and Logos are wonderful concepts, but when God (not Aristotle) put these into play, He laid wisdom above them all. Wisdom says that your ethos (character) is earned and matures over time. Wisdom says that your Pathos (passion) has guidelines and should be driven by HIS spirit within you. Wisdom says that logos (logic) has its place when it comes with Godly validity. So God's wisdom shapes our words. With wisdom people get to know our character which should show them that we're not a jerk. Wisdom infuses our logic and passion with timing to know whether or not we should open our mouths. Or how to phrase what is coming out of our mouths. :)

This is something I am constantly working on. I have a mouth that is quicker than my wisdom at times....so I pray for the constant reminder that I am only right when I am wise. Speaking the truth does not make me right by God's standards. The devil can quote scripture, but I can ask for God's wisdom to speak his words at moments that can change lives and break spiritual bonds. Not to toot my own horn :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My favorite ... "That girl is just as attractive as a monkeys butt, Bless her heart"

Michael said...

Not to sound like a jerk... but there are times when it's best not to tell someone who woke up with the ugly face syndrome that "man you woke up with the ugly face syndrome U.F.S.(for short) So there times to not tell the truth. Unfortunately, not to sound like a jerk but I haven't really mastered this, so I really don't know what I'm talking about so to tell you the truth maybe...to not seem like a jerk ,you should ignore this comment...honestly

Tiffane said...

To Stephanie: I love how people "bless someone's heart" to make up for the fact that they just called 'em ugly. lol

To Mike: You are on crack! :)