Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Word Bash 3: "Conjuction Junction...

...whats your function? Hooking up phrases, words and clauses". I don't know if anyone else was/is a School House Rock fan, but apparently the musical cartoon didn't reach as many lives as hoped for. In a vacuum of irony...I have noticed the very demographic that is charged with inventing the conjunction "y'all" has NO idea how to spell it. Here in Chi-town (that is Chipley) I have seen many a poster claiming that ya'll is an acceptable way to greet someone. The conjunction y'all represents you-all. The apostrophe replaces the "ou" from you. Unless you're from Boston and you say things like "ya ma", there is no need to put the apostrophe anywhere other than where it is supposed to be. Y'all got it?

3 comments:

Lucas said...

Um... I think I have it on VERY good authority that they actually don't say "ya ma" in Boston... I know that to the untrained ear it may have very well sounded close, but the key is in the exact phonics of how you say it. so what you might have heard as "ya ma" probably and most likely in fact was actually a Boston local saying "MOVE YA CAH YAH FREAKIN' MAWRON, YA NOT SUPPOSE TAH PAHK HEA AFTAH DAHK!!!".

You see Tiffany, its all about the undertones involved. My sentence sounds WAY more New England-ish simply because it is severely bitter and jaded... not withstanding the fact that the grammatical structure is wicked bad.

thanks for playin' sugar.

Michael said...

stop drank'n yo hateraide....

hey where dat purple drank!

Anonymous said...

Genial dispatch and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you seeking your information.