Monday, July 30, 2007

For every piece of me that wants you...

...another piece backs away. Its a James Morrison song. I would like to address choices. I've come to realize that when people say "life is all about choices" its true. Whether you choose to believe it or not. :) Yes there is a God with a perfect, eternal plan. There is also a Devil who wants nothing more than to sabotage that plan. But there are 2 other elements we often overlook (sometimes intentionally). There is life and there is us. God says "witness to your friend". The devil says "leave her alone she'll think you're a Jesus Freak". Life says "You're going to see her at school or work every day for the next year". You say "She gets on my nerves".

So many times I get caught up in the different "voices" or opinions I hear. And get frustrated over the fact that they exist...but that doesn't change the fact that they do. So once again I am left with a choice. This brings us to a very important question "why do I choose what I choose?" Is it based on my opinion? On my wisdom? On the truth of the "voice"? Although those are all factors, my choices should be based on my love and commitment to the one who gave me the means to have a choice in the first place. My opinion is fallible (although I don't always think so). My wisdom is lacking and tainted by my determination to do what I want to do. And there is the reality that all 4 influences may hold truth. I need to witness to her. She may think I'm a Jesus freak. I will see her on a regular basis and she gets on my nerves. As a Christian I choose to make Jesus' priorities my priorities. When I accepted Him I died to myself and rejected the Devil so that knocks out 2 voices leaving God and Life. Accepting the fact that All things (including life) were created by Him and for His purposes, God trumps life!

This doesn't necessarily make choosing easier, but it makes the Godly choice clearer. So my advice (in my infinite wisdom lol) is to accept the fact that you will be torn in two. You will mess up. You will make wrong choices. You will have conflicting voices, feelings and opinions. But those are perfect moments to acknowledge and accept God's grace and wisdom. He will give it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does Taylor have a blog? Does he read yours? You should give him your blog address ... oh, and can't you just flick the little devil off your shoulder like they do in cartoons and that takes care of that???

Lucas said...

Good advice. There is something HUGE that you hit on, but you did not go into detail... and I feel so inclined to address that something just to make a girl like you think about it!(as well as anyone else who may find their eyes upon this text)

Life in your scenario said "you're going to see her at school or work every day for the next year"... this brings Time into question, specifically the timing of events of your control. Life is all about timing. The voice of life is all about convincing us to time these things later rather than sooner. I once heard it said that “satan does not have to stop you... all he has to do is slow you down”. It is easier to do nothing than anything. Call it laziness, apathy, miller-time, I-deserve-a-break-time... whatever. It can be mental, physical, emotional... laziness tells me to do nothing physically, not think about the difficult subjects mentally, and to not control my emotions... Now, being a soldier, I know that if I went to war without working out, without studying military strategy and my enemy’s tactics and armament, if I did not have training in controlling my emotions during a firefight (high levels of stress)... I would be an ineffective soldier on the battlefield. How much more so do I suck as a soldier in the kingdom of God if I don't train my mind, body and emotions to be disciplined (on this note… most people are so lacking in this area they don’t even see the enemy or the battlefield)... I believe loving God with all your heart mind and soul involves SEVERE DISCOMFORT at times that this nanny-generation just doesn't understand. If you want to kick evil all the way into next Tuesday and be a forceful “man” taking hold of that kingdom that is forcefully advancing… you need start where all leadership starts. You must be forceful with yourself.

So then, here it is. if you (anyone reading this) find yourself often struggling with decisions of what to stand for, or battling your emotions at the moment of chance... this is for you: You must make your decision of what you will do well before that moment comes. You must know what you stand for and have it coursing through your veins.

****You MUST stand for something... or you will fall for anything.****

And if you expect to make a difference... you must know what that something is NOW, and you must be unwilling to compromise… if you’re not there, that is okay, just don’t expect to win the victories that people who do in fact do this have won.

I believe that was at least $.02

-Lucas