Friday, February 27, 2009

Word Bash is BACK!!! #4

Oh how I've missed these posts.

Last week I attended a conference with an array of people (health professionals, mind you) from around the state. This is where I received some new material for this post. Let's start with my brothas and sistas...

HOW in the WORLD did we learn to replace the letter "f" with a "th" sound? For instance the word "after" becomes "ather". I know it sounds crazy, but it happens. Please make it stop happening.

And once again here in LA (Lower Alabama) there is this phrase-ology that begins when country people get excited...tenses don't matter. Example: "He was running so hard he come 'round the corner and tripped." Really? He come? Not came?

Finally, I don't know what rule this breaks, but there has to be one. Same demographic by the way. "Every time Jenny hears that song she starts to crying." Please, don't use the easier, one-less-syllable verson of that statement "Every time Jenny hears that song she starts crying."

For those of you who are reading my word bash post for the first time, know that I'm not grammatically perfect and I don't claim to be. But I do think American's BUTCHER the English language (text messaging doesn't help) and someone needs to defend it! As usual, feel free to call me out on any mistakes you find on my blog. :) Have a grammatically correct day! :)

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Haha, was that last disclaimer for me?=) I wonder where it all began, the bad grammer ... was it decided in our declaration of independence to not speak proper "English" as an attempt to rebel, was it the civil war, or is it our education systems???

Katherine said...

haha, love it! your blog is hilarious! I've become a big fan :) mine is not nearly as clever!